If you need to update the SAMi app on your iPod that comes with the kit follow these steps.
WARNING: Updating removes all your recordings. Before proceeding, save any recordings that you want to keep onto your computer.
WARNING: These steps are more complicated than we would like, but this is how Apple has implemented this. Read through the instructions first and do not proceed unless you feel comfortable following them.
First you need to connect to your home Wi-Fi network so the iPod can access the internet.
- Press the home button (the round one) to exit the SAMi app.
- Touch settings (the gear icon).
- Select the Wi-Fi settings (second from the top in the main settings screen).
- Select your home Wi-Fi network.
- Enter your password and choose "Join."
- Confirm that your network is now selected (it should have a check mark).
- Exit by pressing "Settings" in the upper left.
Next you need to set the iPod to use your Apple ID. If you don't already have an Apple ID, click on the link below to set one up. If you previously have connected your iPod to your Apple ID, you can skip this step.
- Scroll down until you see "iTunes & App Stores" and then select it.
- If the Apple ID is not your own Apple ID, select it. Otherwise skip to the next section.
- If you are signed in to an incorrect Apple ID (such as email@example.com), choose "Sign Out."
- Select the Apple ID and enter in your own Apple ID.
- Enter your password.
- Press "Sign in."
Next, confirm that you are running the latest version of iOS (the iPod operating system).
- Press "Settings" in the upper left to return to the main settings screen.
- Scroll up and select "General."
- Select "Software Update."
- If there is an update available, select Download and Install it. When the iPod finishes downloading the update, it automatically restarts. After it restarts proceed to the next section.
- If there is not a new software update, simply press the home button to exit settings.
You can now update SAMi.
<<WARNING>> The following step deletes all your recordings. Be sure to save any recordings you want to keep onto your computer. Because this step also resets all your settings, you might want to record these first.
- Delete the SAMi app. To do this press and hold on the SAMi app until you see all the icons "dancing" then touch the "X" on the SAMi app.
- Click the home button.
- Select the "App Store."
- Search for "SAMi3" if you have a SAMi-3 camera, search for "SAMi" if you have the older SAMi-2 (with the QR code on the front).
- Install the app. Be sure it is the "SAMi3 Sleep Activity Monitor By HiPass Design LLC" or the "SAMi Sleep Activity Monitor By HiPass Design LLC".
Next you need to "forget" your home network and reconnect to the SAMi Router. It is important to "forget" your home network because if you do not, the iPod might connect to it without warning, which disconnects SAMi from the camera.
- Select "Settings."
- Select "Wi-Fi."
- Select the button to the right of the currently selected network (either a blue forward arrow or "i" in a circle).
- Select "Forget this Network."
- Confirm the "Forget."
- Select "Wi-Fi" in the upper left to return to the list of networks.
- Now select the "SAMi" network if it has not already been selected.
- Press the home button to exit settings.
Finally, you need to configure the updated SAMi app.
- Check the the camera is plugged in and on.
- Using an opened paper clip, press the reset button through the hole on the side of the camera.
- Launch SAMi.
- You should be asked if you want to setup a new camera. Choose "Continue".
- This will configure your SAMi camera. If it does not, turn your iPod off, then back on and repeat these last steps.
You can now start to use the newly updated SAMi app.