The router that comes with your SAMi kit does not have security enabled for the Wi-Fi connection. This is because the router is typically not connected to the internet and the camera cannot normally be accessed without the passcode (SAMi-3) or reading the QR code on the front of the camera (SAMi-2) using the SAMi app. For most people the added complexity is not necessary.
However, if you plan on connecting the router to the internet or your home network, or if you want an extra level of security, you can follow these steps to add a password.
WARNING: If you do not follow these steps exactly you might end up disabling the router. Read through the instructions first and do not proceed unless you feel comfortable following them.
WARNING: If you set up security do not lose the password.
Note that to add the password you will need to connect the SAMi camera to your router with an Ethernet wire.
If you purchased your SAMi router before 2015, click here.
FIRST, CONFIGURE THE ROUTER:
- Connect a computer to the router. You can either use an Ethernet wire, or you can connect the computer to the router using WiFi; look for the SAMi WiFI network.
- With a browser, connect to http://192.168.1.1
- Log in with username: “admin” password: “password”
- Click on “Wireless”
- There are two places to select the security option. Choose “WPA2-PSK [AES]” for both.
- There will now be two places to enter the passphrase (password). Enter the same thing for both.
- If you want, you can also change the network name (SSID) to something other than “SAMi”. Don’t choose the same name as your home network.
- Click on the green “Apply” button.
After the router restarts it is secured with your new password.
NEXT, CONNECT YOUR IPOD:
- Once the router has re-started (both the green and blue antenna icons on the front are on) select "settings/Wi-Fi" on your iPod.
- Select the SAMi network (or the new SSID). Enter the same password you used for the Wi-Fi settings.
- If you cannot connect, repeat the steps above for setting up the router.
NEXT, CONFIGURE YOUR SAMI CAMERA:
- Connect the camera to the router with an Ethernet wire.
- Plug in the camera.
- When the camera power LED turns green for the second time (and stays green) launch the SAMi app.
- The app should connect to the camera. If it doesn’t, check that the power LED on the camera is green and that your iPod is connected to the SAMi (or new name) network.
- Select “Settings”, then select “Camera Settings”.
- Scroll down and select “Setup WiFi”.
- Once the WiFi networks are displayed, choose the SAMi network (or the new network name).
- When prompted, enter in the WiFi password you gave the router.
- After the setup is complete, unplug the Ethernet wire from the camera and confirm that you still have a live picture. It may take a minute or so to connect.
Save the password you gave the router (perhaps write it on the router itself). You will need this if you ever need to re-setup the camera or if you replace the iPod.