We occasionally see iPods that stop charging and appear to be completely dead (no display at all). The cause is not clear, it may be associated with letting the iPod battery completely drain. We recommend leaving the iPod connected to an Apple brand charger. If you are running on battery power and get a low battery warning either immediately connect the iPod to a charger or exit the SAMi app and turn the iPod off.
To recover your iPod:
The first thing to try is connect the iPod to a different charger. Let it stay connected for 1/2 hr or longer. If the display continues to stay off and the iPod does not respond to button presses then these steps will usually fix the issue.
- Connect the iPod to a computer and run iTunes.
- Press and hold the power and home buttons for 10 seconds.
- While holding the home button, release the power button
- iTunes should respond with a message that the iPod is in recovery mode and needs to be restored. Let go of the home button. Note that the iPod screen will still be blank but the iPod is running.
- If you don't get the iTunes message, leave it connected for 1/2 hour, then try again. Be sure to continue to hold the home button when you release the power button.
- Follow the instructions to restore the iPod. This will clear all the data from your iPod, this is unfortunately unavoidable.
After the iPod is restored you will need to re-install the SAMi3 app. See here for instructions.
Next, reset your SAMi-3 camera. Use an opened paperclip to press the button in the hole on the side of the camera.
Now start the SAMi3 app and add the camera. See here for instructions.